Next blog post for KEH will be about the TECHART PRO II LM-EA7. More details to come there, but the surprise AF performer has been the old school M42 mount Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 fresh off it’s usual Zenit E home. Very light so it balances well, and focuses in quite a bit so a decent macro look can be had. And with AF this lens really shines. Some samples below. Continue reading “KEH Blog Post Preview: TECHART PRO II LM-EA7 plus a Helios 44-2”
Not sure how to start this write up. There is some hesitancy on my part, but not for the usual reasons.
Not for fear of Leica adherent backlash. I am a casual member of the same. Having very much enjoyed a brief Leica film dalliance I fully understand the Leica allure.
At times our goals contradict each other and this happened with me recently.
- Value means a lot to me. May seem odd when discussing photography where many would argue that a mobile phone will do. But even in this realm, I always seek the most frugal option available to meet an end.
- Had recently moved to full frame mirrorless, A7III specifically.
- Had been a while, but I wanted to get a hold of a 70-200mm f/2.8 or equivalent again.
So why not go with a 70-200mm f/2.8 or equivalent for mirrorless?
- I LOVE 50mm lenses.
- I LOVE (ok really, really like) Sony mirrorless cameras.
- Finding a proper 50mm lens for Sony mirrorless has been a struggle up to this point.
But “What about lens XYZ?” you may be saying. My criteria may be considered odd by some. My expectations for 50mm lenses are informed by my early experiences with 35mm film. Namely:
This lens makes no sense.
Right off the bat this is a top 5 lens for me. Perhaps top 3.
I had Pentax DSLRs a couple of times before and this lens was on my radar both times. With my recent return to Pentax, I bought a used copy. Immediately became very attached to it, but then to my great disappointment, it broke. Returned it. Hurt to do so. Tried to let it go. Then it went on sale… new… and very silver… for about what I paid for the used one.
Why did I want this lens? So many reasons. Continue reading “Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited Review”